Tuesday 14 November 2017

The Company You Keep Movie - Would You Do It Again?



- Wow, you're much younger than I thought you'd be.

Well, that's always nice to hear.

I didn't mean it as a compliment.

Well... still, thank you.

- You did me a favor when you wrote that article.

I wouldn't mistake it for sympathy.
No... just clarity.

Yeah... clarity.

So, let's talk clarity.

Okay. 

You were on your way to New York to turn yourself in?

How does Billy Cusimano fit in?

- Billy's my friend, and he did nothing but encourage me to...
turn myself in if I thought that that would bring me peace.


Mmm... you know his phone was tapped?

- Yeah. They got lucky.

And you got unlucky.

- Yeah.

Why now, after thirty years?

You don't have kids, do you?

- No, I... I barely have furniture.

Well, if you do, yourealize that they change you.
I have two, a boy and a girl...

- Mm-hmm.

...and I waited until I thought they were old enough to be able to handle it, but still young enough that... I can...

So was it a crisis of conscience?

Hmm?

Remorse for past transgressions that became intolerable?

The past thirty years in a sentence! Ha.

Wow, it must be nice to see the world so cleanly.

Didn't you once?

Most of us led very sheltered lives, we had no real relationship with violence.
But at that time, all these... kids were... taking to the streets
in, uh, Japan, and France, China, Angola, There was revolution, and I wanted to be part of it.

Sure! Sounds groovy.

You think we were all just a... bunch of doped up hippies running around.
It was hardly groovy, our government was murdering millions, and we could see... horrifying images, on the news... magazines, My Lai, Selma... made us crazy, we didn't know what to do, we... we, uh, protested, we sat in, we got our sculls cracked and the war just kept escalating.
And then there was Kent State, and Jackson State, and... kids our age... were being murdered by our government... on campuses.

It's not our finest hour.

It wasn't abstract, there was a draft.
You would've gotten a number, and then... all you could do is just wait.
And everybody knew somebody that was going over, or somebody who was not coming back.
You never get over that.

- Apparently not.
It sounds to me like justification,
I find it hard to believe that the only
option available to you at the time was violence.
Well, we thought that sitting at home while your government
committed genocide and doing nothing about it, that that was violence.
What about you?
What are you willing to take a risk for?

I don't know. I know that I wouldn't blow up a building. I wouldn't kill anybody for anything.

Yeah, well... dissent can be dicey.
But you can't get to my age
without some regrets.

Would you do it again?

If... I didn't have kids, and old parents that I love,
Yeah, I would do it again.
Smarter, better... different.
But I'd do it, yeah.
We made mistakes, but we were right.

Hmm... and is Nick Sloan right?

He has a daughter much younger than yours, that he abandoned in a hotel room.

People do what they have to do.

- Well, what are you doing then, here with me? I mean, you...
you had a choice in all this after all.

Well, look at me. It doesn't matter what I say, unless...
I say it to somebody who's interested in The Truth.
And it seems, as if you're interested in The Truth. Most people aren't. What are you gonna do?

- My job.

Good.

And what do you think Jim... Nick...what do you think he's doing now?

Maybe you should figure that out.

- Hmm.

Look, if my coming here in any way was responsible for... him being found out, well that was not my intention, and he knows that.
We never betrayed each other, not once, any of us, over all these years, and I'm not about to start now.

What about Mimi Lurie? Is she out there living a good, clean, productive life?

- Anything's possible.

Mimi and Nick... were different. Radicals? Yes. But also lovers.

Did you ...

There's something you're not telling me.
What are you driving at, Shepard?
We know that Nick Sloan is looking
for something or someone to clear him.
I know that's your assumption.
- Could that be Mimi Lurie?
I'm off the record.
Think it out. First he'd have to find
her, and convince her to testify.
Second, she'd have to surrender.
But it's a participants testimony.
- That's the point.
If Mimi comes out of hiding, and surrenders herself
to testify that Nick Sloan wasn't at the bank,
it's what lawyers call a declaration against interest.
Destroys her own possibility of a defense.
It would clear him.
Why? Why would she do that? Why would she
give herself up to a jail sentence to save him?
I mean, what is her motivation?
You really she's gonna do that?
Don't matter what we think.
He obviously believes he can convince her.
- Why now?
Why not do this back then?
How long have you known about this?
I'm obviously not the only person in this conversation
who knows about her ties to a piece of
property just on the other side of Canada.
Mr. Osborne, what's the actual charge
against a law enforcement officer who
fails to follow credible evidence about
the whereabouts of a known fugitive?
I think there'd be a variety, actually.
You have information,
why aren't you coming forward?
Well, you have information too.
So what are you gonna do?
I'm a journalist.
I'm gonna do what I always do.
And this information's gonna be on
every computer screen in the next 20 minutes,
and I'm gonna find out everything
you're hiding from me,
and I'm gonna expose it in a very big and very real way.
You're about to do a lot of damage
to a lot of people.
You've no idea how much.
I think they have it coming.
- On that, you could not be more wrong.
Innocent people are about to get
swept up in this storm you're unleashing.
Trust me.
- Trust you...?
Tell me something, Mr Osborne.
Are you one of those innocent people?
- No, I am not.
But my daughter is.



Well, before she can not surrender,
she has to first not get caught.


No comments:

Post a Comment