Tuesday 9 May 2017

BreXit : Bad Faith


"It's like watching King Lear."



Yanis Varoufakis, former Greek finance minister, resigned back in 2015 at the height of the crisis there. 
He has now written a book about the whole experience, Adults in the Room - and he spoke to Evan Davis about Brexit and the UK's general election.




Senator Pat Geary: 
I can get you a gaming license. The price is $250,000, plus a monthly payment of five percent of the gross of all four hotels. 

[sneers

Mr. Corl-ee-own-eh.

Michael Corleone: 
Now, the price of a gaming license is less than $20,000. 
Is that right?

Senator Pat Geary: 
That's right.

Michael Corleone: 
So why would I ever consider paying more than that?

Senator Pat Geary: 
Because I intend to squeeze you. 
I don't like your kind of people. 
I don't like to see you come out to this clean country with your oily hair, dressed up in those silk suits, passing yourselves off as decent Americans. 

I'll do business with you, but the fact is that I despise your masquerade, the dishonest way you pose yourself. 

Yourself and your whole fucking family.

Michael:
Senator. We're both part of the same hypocrisy...

But never think it applies to my family.

Senator Pat Geary: [exasperated
Okay. 

Some people need play little games. 
You play yours. 

Let's just say that you'll pay me because it's in your interest to pay me. 
But I want your answer and the money by noon tomorrow. 

And one more thing. Don't you contact me again, ever

From now on, you deal with Turnbull.

Michael: 
Senator? You can have my answer now, if you like. 

My offer is this: Nothing. 

Not even the fee for the gaming license.
Which I would appreciate if you would put up personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment