Monday 20 August 2012

Tony Scott hung out professionally with Navy F-16 aviators, nuclear sub crews, NSA and CIA.

Erm... It's fairly unusual for someone to reach the age of 68 and then kill themselves over simple depression.

Not unheard of, but certainly unusual.

His back catalogue involved close creative collaboration with (amongst others), the US Air Force, the National Security establishment (in particular NSA) and the US Navy, in particular nuclear submariners.

The over-all timbre of his work is overtly pro-military and resoundingly Reaganite. And through it, he came to know dangerous people. Lots.

It may be an inferior MTV remake of The Conversation, but Enemy of the State may well be worth a fresh new viewing...


And Spy Game! I can't believe I forgot Spy Game!!


UPDATE: "Talking to Empire around Domino’s release in 2005, Scott said, “... I do a lot of research and I get paid to touch these other worlds and I want to keep trying to touch these new worlds and bring them to the screen, whether it's the 18th Street Gang or the Vietnamese Gang, or bounty hunting or whatever it is. I love what I do.”

No comments:

Post a Comment